The franchise model is a way for a successful business to expand its presence by distributing its goods and services over a larger market area through the use of franchisees. However, any company seeking to expand its footprint through the franchise model must navigate a plethora of federal and state disclosure and filing requirements. Failure to comply with these laws could be financially devastating to a company, and even a minor error in your franchise documentation could give rise to a claim for damages by a franchisee.
The attorneys at Dworken & Bernstein represent both franchisors and franchisees in all aspects of owning, operating, buying and selling a franchised business. They represent established companies seeking to franchise their business, and companies and individuals looking to purchase and operate a franchised business. They also represent franchisors in complying with the numerous federal and state disclosure rules required to operate a franchise. Additionally, they represent franchisors and franchisees in all types of business disputes including claims relating to breaches of franchise agreements and claims relating to fraud and disclosure issues.
What sets the attorneys at Dworken & Bernstein apart from their peers is that they understand the franchise model, and they know how to recognize and protect their clients against the types of issues that are likely to result in disputes and other problems down the road. They understand the key provisions that are required in every franchise agreement and will work with you to ensure that you have the contractual protections necessary to avoid the costly pitfalls that often arise between a franchisee and a franchisor.
The services the firm offers in the area of franchise law include:
- Assisting and advising clients in establishing new franchise businesses;
- Advising clients on the various state and federal franchise laws;
- Preparing, registering and updating franchise disclosure documents;
- Negotiating and drafting franchise and license agreements;
- Drafting confidentiality and non-competition agreements;
- Advising clients on issues relating to trade secrets, trademarks and other intellectual property;
- Negotiating with prospective sellers and purchasers relating to sales and purchases of franchise businesses;
- Negotiating and drafting real estate contracts and financing documents relating to franchise businesses;
- Drafting employee relations documents such as employment agreements and employee handbooks; and
- Representing franchisors and franchisees in all types of business disputes.
With a team of attorneys who are experienced in assisting and advising clients in all aspects of the franchisor/franchisee relationship, Dworken & Bernstein is here to help you navigate through every legal issue that may arise in connection with your franchised business.