If a problem develops in any phase of your construction project, the results can be devastating. Your completion date may be delayed; you may find yourself in a position of having to exceed your budget in order to cover cost overruns; or you may end up embroiled in costly and time-consuming litigation. For over 60 years, the attorneys at Dworken & Bernstein have represented clients in the construction industry with the primary goal of spotting and avoiding these types of problems.
What sets the attorneys at Dworken & Bernstein apart from their peers is that they understand the construction process, and they know how to recognize and protect their clients against the types of issues that are likely to result in delays, disputes or other problems. They understand the key provisions that are required in every construction contract and will work with you to ensure that you have the contractual protections necessary to avoid the costly pitfalls that often arise during the construction process.
The attorneys at Dworken & Bernstein have represented clients on a wide range of private and public construction project including commercial and industrial buildings, hotels, strip centers, office parks, manufacturing facilities, retail establishments, restaurants and bars, residential subdivisions, and governmental buildings. Our clients include owners, general contractors, design professionals, subcontractors, material supplies, real estate developers and a host of other players in the construction industry. We provide a wide range of services starting with the pre-construction phase through completion of the construction process. We have also successfully litigated a wide range of construction disputes on behalf of many of our clients including owners, contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers.
The legal services we provide to our clients in the construction industry include:
- Assisting with initial project mortgage financing;
- Negotiating and drafting property acquisition contracts and ground leases;
- Preparing bidding documents;
- Negotiating and drafting development agreements with municipalities and other governmental entities;
- Negotiating and drafting residential development contracts between real estate developers, property owners and builders;
- Working with governmental officials to obtain all required permits to construct your project;
- Representing clients in the process of having properties rezoned;
- Representing clients in connection with obtaining variance requests and conditional use permits;
- Negotiating and drafting public and private construction and architectural contracts;
- Negotiating and revising public and private AIA contracts;
- Representing clients in connection with all types of construction disputes;
- Asserting and defending against mechanics’ liens;
- Prosecuting and defending construction defect claims;
- Prosecuting and defending breach of contract claims;
- Dealing with cost overruns; and
- Prosecuting and defending claims under the Prompt Payment Act.
With over 60 years of experience in assisting and advising clients in all aspects of the construction industry, Dworken & Bernstein is here to help you navigate through every legal issue that may arise in connection with your construction project.