What is a U Visa for Crime Victims?

What is a U Visa for Crime Victims?

U Visa crime victims

In 2000, the U.S. government announced a new visa category called the U Visa. This visa can help people who may have entered this country without authorization, stayed here for many years without documentation, and/or may have also committed some crime in the past here in this country and therefore do not qualify for other types of immigration applications.

Six legal requirements for U Visa non-immigrant status

  • Applicant must have been a victim of a qualifying criminal activity.
  • The applicant must have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of these criminal activities.
  • Applicant must have information concerning that criminal activity.
  • The applicant must have been helpful, is being helpful, or is likely to be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the crime.
  • The criminal activity occurred in the United States or violated U.S. laws.
  • An applicant is admissible to the United States under current U.S. immigration laws and regulations. Those who are not admissible may apply for a waiver on a Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-Immigrant.

Beginning the process

The U Visa process begins with applying to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS does not charge any fees to apply for the U Visa. It is necessary to include with the application: a description of what happened, proof of the injuries from the crime, both physically and emotionally, and a certification from someone in the court system or police confirming that you have tried to assist in the process.

Positive aspects of the U Visa include the fact that there is a pardon for people who, for example, entered the country illegally, are in the country illegally, and/or have committed some crimes in the past. Individuals who qualify for the visa may live in the United States legally, with permission to work for 3 years. After that, they may apply for permanent residence.  If one qualifies for the U Visa, family members can also qualify.

Because of all the benefits of this visa, anyone who has ever been a victim of crime in the U.S. should consult with an immigration professional to see if they qualify for U visa status.


If you think you or a loved one are eligible fora U Visa, contact the expert immigration attorneys at Dworken & Bernstein to learn more and find out your options today!

In Lake County, call 440.946.7656

In Cuyahoga County, call 216.861.4211

Ethical, Responsive, Committed and Compassionate

Entrust Our Team of Attorneys to Skillfully Advocate for You in Any Legal Matter

Translate »